Our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, has said that “young voices must be part of our decision-making process”. During the 2015 Election, I campaigned on a renewed focus on youth in our community and that’s why I am proud to be launching a new initiative to bring youth together from across Hamilton West—Ancaster—Dundas to engage with the federal political process.
I want to hear from youth in our community and I am inviting anyone from the ages 14-24 to apply to the Hamilton West—Ancaster—Dundas Youth Council. As part of the Liberal Government’s commitment to meaningful youth engagement in Canada’s government, we have already received the first wave of applications for the Prime Minister’s Youth Council, and now we are making it easier for young Canadians to have their say closer to home.
The Hamilton West—Ancaster—Dundas Youth Council is open for application until September 30th and will include youth from different schools, neighborhoods and local associations. Once selected, the council will meet several times through the year to discuss issues that matter to you, your community and your country.
Filomena Tassi, MP
- Have questions? See our FAQ below.
- Get Connected with other youth across the country: https://www.facebook.com/cyc2016cjc/
- Follow the #youthmatters conversation on Twitter: @cyc_cjc
WHO can apply?
Anyone from 14-24 years of age who lives in our community or goes to school here. Your MP is seeking youth with different interests, experiences and takes on the world. All voices are welcome!
HOW can you apply?
Fill out the application form linked above before September 30th.
How much TIME do you have to commit to the council?
The council will meet several times per year to discuss different topics and organize community projects. The expected time commitment is roughly 2 to 5 hours per month and the council will conduct its work from October until June.
WHAT does the council do?
Members of the council will share their ideas, opinions and concerns on a selection of topics with each other and their MP. The notes from these discussions will be reported back to government to help inform decision making. The council will also partake in a community project starting in the winter.
WHY should you apply for the CYC?
- You get valuable face-to-face time with your Member of Parliament and your ideas are shared to help shape choices on policies and the direction of government.
- Your time on the council is volunteer experience! If you are a high school student, check with your school counselor before starting to see how they would like you to track your hours.
- Your MP will provide you with an official House of Commons Certificate as a member of the Youth Council for the constituency, which you can include in applications for work or post-secondary.